Telling your husband or partner you’re pregnant
- Cook a meal with foods that have “baby” in the name. Some fun ideas include baby carrots, baby back ribs, baby corn and baby spinach. For dessert, buy a bag of Sugar Babies candy. Then, ask your partner what everything has in common and watch the lightbulb come on.
- Tell your partner to hold out their hand and place a single pea or corn kernel on their palm. Say something like, “Want to hear something amazing? This is how small our baby is right now.”
- Do you have a fur baby? Put a note on your dog’s collar that says “Mama’s pregnant!”
- Place a cinnamon bun in your oven and ask your partner to check on what you’re baking. With any luck, he’ll say, “Why is there a cinnamon bun in the oven?” Then, you can be prepared to answer that you wanted to share the news about your bun in the oven and wait for the realization to dawn.
- Buy two onesies, one pink and one blue. When your partner gets home, take them into the bedroom, pull the onesies out and ask your partner, “What color do you think we’re going to need in 9 months or so?”
- If your partner has a sweet tooth, ice a cupcake or cookie with the words, “Hey baby! I can’t wait to meet you.”
Telling your family you’re pregnant
- Does your family gather for group game nights? Suggest a game of Scrabble, but pick your letters carefully so you can spell out “BABY” to share your news.
- Get the family together for a photo and instead of ‘Say cheese!’ ask the photographer to say, ‘Say ‘We’re pregnant!’ You’ll capture your loved ones’ reactions and have that memory to share with your child one day.
- If you are announcing your pregnancy close to Christmas time, give the members of your family a small package and tell them it is something to hang on their tree. Include a pair of baby booties or a onesie and wait for their reaction.
- Have shirts printed that say, “Mommy” and “Daddy” and wear them to your next family dinner. To amp up the drama, wear them under a coat or jacket and reveal what’s underneath when everyone’s watching.
- If you already have a child, dress them up in a tee-shirt that says, “I’m going to be a big brother [or sister]!” and let them show off their new look at your next family gathering.
- Telling your child that they’re going to have a little sibling can be a sweet moment to share. Get them excited with an age-appropriate book about becoming a big brother or sister and a baby-sized doll to practice loving on while they wait for their new sibling to arrive.
Telling the world
- Social media—from Instagram to Facebook—is a fun way to share your pregnancy announcement. The options for a cute photo are endless. You can opt for something simple, like changing your profile picture to a shot of a positive pregnancy test, or you may choose something even more creative. Some ideas include taking a photo of your ultrasound, writing the baby’s due date on a chalkboard, or having a onesie printed with “Baby” plus your last name. The options are endless! Then, just wait for the congratulatory messages to flow in.
- Going on vacation? Find a hat or swimsuit printed with the words “Baby on Board,” and post a shot among your vacation photos on social media. Your friends may think they’re just looking at travel pics, but instead, they’ll learn your happy news!
- If snail mail is more your speed, take a picture of you holding your baby bump, you and your partner holding hands with baby booties dangling, or with your dog wearing a tee-shirt that says “I’m getting a baby sibling!” and send the announcement to your friends.
Share your pregnancy announcement on social media by tagging @Huggies!