by Ana Flores
Nothing can really prepare you for that magical day when your baby arrives home for the very first time and all of a sudden you've truly become a family. You've spent months dreaming about this day and making sure every single detail is in order. The nesting stage seems to have put you in overdrive when it comes to making sure that everything your baby will need to feel welcomed, safe and loved is all set.
While there are many essentials our bebesitos need as soon as they are born, the reality is that all they truly desire is to be nurtured and cared by you and papa. To be able to fully be there and present for your little one at all times during those critical first weeks of birth, mama needs to take care of herself and make sure that once you arrive home you have what you need to be comfortable and rested so you can focus on bonding with your child.
Aside from making sure the nursery is fully equipped to welcome baby, make sure you also prepare your home to meet your immediate needs in this new stage of life. Prepare yourself for a few weeks of new emotions, feelings, sensations and a different pace in your life from what you've been used to.
Taking some time beforehand to have a few things around the house taken care of prior to baby's arrival and checking out other details on Huggies Latino's Respuestas para Mama, will make the transition smoother for you. Here are six ideas you might not have considered yet, but that can be very useful:
1. Batch cook a few meals to keep in the freezer and heat up to serve a meal at anytime. It's essential you're feeding yourself well, especially if you're nursing your baby.
2. Have plenty of water at hand. Invest in a filter or make sure to have lots of water bottles to just keep at your side at all times. Hydration is key as you recover from labor and get back into a sleeping routine.
3. Get a notebook and pen, or a good app on your smartphone, to keep a diary of your baby's feedings, bowel movements and sleep. This is all essential information that your pediatrician will ask you during your visits and the more detailed information you have, the more useful it is.
4. Keep a digital camera or smartphone close to you at all times because these precious first moments only happen once.
5. In advance of baby's arrival, find an online site that delivers the baby essentials you will need to replenish on a constant basis, such as Huggies Little Snugglers Diapers, Huggies Natural Care Wipes and formula, if needed. Create an account so that you can quickly access it to have your basics shipped to you immediately. Most don't charge shipping costs and arrive quickly to your doorstep.
6. Create a playlist of your favorite nursery rhymes and soothing white noise to help baby calm down and ease into sleep.
These first days and weeks are the most intense, yet the most memorable and important for your baby's development. You will definitely be focused on him, but don't forget to take care of yourself so you can truly enjoy these moments.
Ana L. Flores has over 15 years of experience as a content creator and television producer, with a specialty in the U.S. Hispanic industry. After becoming a mom, she co-founded SpanglishBaby, the go-to online community for parents raising bilingual and bicultural kids, which was chosen as a "Must Read Mom's Blog" by Parenting magazine, as well as Babble's "Top 100 Mom Blogs" in 2011 and 2012. She was recently named one of "6 Bloggers to Watch" by USA Today's Hispanic Living.
Ana also founded Latina Bloggers Connect, a boutique social media agency where she creates strategic digital campaigns connecting brands and social causes with bloggers. She coauthored the book Bilingual is Better and is a regular blogger on Babble Voices, a passionate advocate of the Moms Clean Air Force, and a UN Foundation [email protected] Social Fellow.