When I was 30 weeks pregnant with baby #3, I went into pre-term labor and was told I’d need to be on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy.
When I was 30 weeks pregnant with baby #3, I went into pre-term labor and was told I’d need to be on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy. It turns out the baby (and my body) didn’t seem to care that it was my oldest’s 5th birthday (with all kinds of fun stuff planned) the following week. Or that my (then) 2-year-old son was about to start Mommy and Me soccer. Or that my husband’s job tends to take place in about 30 of the 50 United States.
While it was a huge adjustment for all of us, we made it through and greeted our sweet baby girl at 38 weeks. Along the way, I got great advice and wrote about my experience in detail on my blog. (And John has written about his experience of being the husband to a wife on bed rest beautifully here on Disney Baby.) But here are some tips every mom on bed rest should have.
Bed rest comes with all kinds of emotions and stress. Here are some tips to make this tough time a little bit easier. (Like maybe start with someone painting those pretty toes you’ll be starring at all day!)
• A big water cup
• Straws (have you ever tried to drink lying down?)
• Water bottles to refill your cup
• Lip balm
• Medications (bonus: an alarm to remind you to take them)
• And all your favorite (healthy-ish) munchies
• Thank you notes
Funny blog writing/reading
• And, Cari of
Lola & Maddie
suggests having a calendar to mark each day closer to baby’s due date
• Be gracious
• Keep running lists of what you need from specific stores so you can pay people back on the spot
• Balloon volleyball
• I Spy
• Beauty shop
• Card games
• Movie nights
• Surprise packages with new books to read together
• Making a list of requests (rather than constant shout outs)
• Asking friends to keep him company/invite him (and the kids) out
• Acknowledging all he’s doing (even if it isn’t *exactly* how you would do it)
• Saying thank you … a lot
• Reminding yourself what a great mom you’re already being to this baby
• Asking your doc if you can attend very important gatherings (like big bro’s bday party) in a reclining chair
• Remembering what a hair brush is (bonus points for make up brush)
• Bringing your social life to you (have a girls’ night in)
• Remembering it’s called bed rest for a reason … REST!
An article from
For more information about other great Kimberly-Clark brands, visit our website at
All names, logos and trademarks are the property of Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. or its affiliates. © KCWW. All rights reserved. Your visit to this site and use of the information hereon is subject to the terms of our
Please review our
Disney Elements © Disney. Disney/Pixar Elements © Disney/Pixar.
Terms & Conditions .
*Asterisks indicate required fields
Enter Rewards Codes from Huggies® products below, and get Huggies® Rewards Points you can use toward other products, sweepstakes and more.