These are the 5 things I wish someone would have told me before becoming a mom.
By: Nadia Carriere
There is nothing that can really prepare you for the incredible, overwhelming and over-the-top feeling of becoming a mother. You can read every pregnancy book out there, listen to the advice of loved ones and experts, but once you have a child everything you thought you knew goes right out the window. After the birth of my third baby, I was the most relaxed and easy-going. I had already gone through the experience of giving birth twice and my parenting tactics had loosened up quite a bit. These are the 5 things I wish someone would have told me before becoming a mom.
1. Listen To Your Gut & Follow Your InstinctYou know those feelings that you just can’t shake? The ones that tell you something is wrong or ‘off’ even though everything looks and seems just fine? Listen to them! Your instincts are almost always right.
2. Don’t Sweat The Small StuffPlease don’t worry about the little things, because in the end they are just that. The first year of your baby’s life is one of the most magical. People are not kidding when they tell you that it goes by in an instant. One minute your newborn is a tiny little thing that fits in the crook of your arm and the next, she’s walking. The laundry can wait and all those little things on your to-do list can be finished eventually. Don’t sweat it!
3. Ask For HelpThere is absolutely nothing wrong or shameful about asking for a little help. Family members are usually more than willing to help with a few chores, pick up some dinner or help take the baby off your hands for a bit. If your family isn’t close by, hire someone. Remember, you still need to heal and getting a little bit of help is a must for the first few weeks at least.
4. Take Time Out For YourselfSomething as simple as having a bath without being disturbed, taking a walk by yourself or going out for a coffee with your husband or a friend can be incredibly refreshing and rejuvenating. You need time for YOU as well. When mama is happy, everyone is happy.
5. There Is No Right AnswerWhat works for one generation, parent or family may not work for another. Don’t feel guilty if you decide to do things a different way whether it be something as simple as sleep schedules or feeding preferences.
An article from
For more information about other great Kimberly-Clark brands, visit our website at
All names, logos and trademarks are the property of Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. or its affiliates. © KCWW. All rights reserved. Your visit to this site and use of the information hereon is subject to the terms of our
Please review our
Disney Elements © Disney. Disney/Pixar Elements © Disney/Pixar.
Terms & Conditions .
*Asterisks indicate required fields
Enter Rewards Codes from Huggies® products below, and get Huggies® Rewards Points you can use toward other products, sweepstakes and more.